How to Resolve a Problem

You should seek help on your problem with your financial institution first as they have easy access to your records. All financial institutions are expected to deal with consumer complaints in an independent, effective and prompt manner.

Speak directly to the staff who attended to you or call the Customer Helpline. If they are unable to resolve your problem, you can write a letter to the Quality Service Department in the financial institution.

If you are unable to resolve the matter with your financial institution, you may wish to approach the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre Ltd (FIDReC) within 6 months of receiving the final reply from the financial institution. FIDReC provides you with an independent and affordable avenue for resolving problems that cannot be settled directly between you and your financial institution. You should check with FIDReC on the types of cases they can handle before you file your case with them. For more information, please visit the FIDReC website.

You can also approach the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) or the Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC). You can also consider whether you should bring your case to court. Taking legal action should be the last resort as it can be a time-consuming and costly process. If you wish to seek legal advice or to engage a lawyer to take legal action on your behalf, the Law Society maintains a list of all registered lawyers in Singapore. You can also seek the help of the Legal Aid Bureau. However, you have to meet certain conditions before the Legal Aid Bureau will help you. 

If you obtained a loan from a licensed moneylender, and think you have been subjected to unfair or unlawful lending practices, you should report the matter to the Registry of Moneylenders at 6325-2585 or email:

You can find out more about these organisations at:
CASE: or                               SMC:  /  
Law Society:  
Legal Aid Bureau: